Sunday, January 12, 2014

Just Ask for the Business!

I've met many sales people in my travels. One thing I've heard more times than not is how sales are tougher today. The economy, the location, the people, etc.

It's easy to blame low sales on external forces. It's much more difficult to look at oneself and consider a lacking somewhere within.

There are ALWAYS going to be the same exact excuses, given by sales people, for low sales numbers/quotas/goals. The most common mistake (I've found) that sales people do is they fail to ask for the business. They'll sell the idea, or product and not see the ultimate buying $ign staring them in the face. They'll continue to sell to their prospect...right out the door.

When I do my consulting for companies that hire me to speak with their sales people I'll ask individuals in the class a question. I'll ask, "How are you today?" and they will ALWAYS say "I'm doing great!" To which I'll respond, "That's the incorrect answer."

A sales person should always remain neutral to a lead/prospect until they know what direction they need to go. If your prospect is having a terrible day, and you respond with an answer like above, you've instantly made that person feel worse. And vis-a-vis.

The correct answer to give if someone were to ask how you're doing is - "Unbelievable."

Stay neutral until you know what direction you need to go.

Don't be afraid to ask for the business after you've qualified your Lead/Prospect. If you don't, someone else will.

No comments:

Post a Comment